Costco's iconic hot dog deal is still $1.50, despite record inflation rates raising prices everywhere else in the industry
Costcohas sold hot dogand soda combos for $1.50 since 1985.
- The retailer has publicly committed to maintaining the price of deal over the years.
Though inflation has reached its highest level since 1990 — killing other classic bargains buyers used to rely on, from dollar pizza slices to dollar stores — Costco's iconic hot dog deal has remained the same price since it first launched in 1985.
"We have no plans to take that hot dog above a buck fifty. End of story," Costco CEO Craig Jelinek told shareholders in January 2020.
The company has publicly committed to maintaining the combo over the years. Costco founder Jim Senegal once told CEO Craig Jelinek, "If you raise the [price of the] effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out."
"It's the mindset that when you think of Costco, you think of the $1.50 hot dog," Jelinek told 425 Business, a local Seattle publication, in 2018.
The commitment to protecting the deal has paid off. During its 2019 fiscal year, Costco sold 151 million hot-dog combos for a total of nearly $226.5 million. The famously inexpensive snacks are part of what draws people to Costco, Jelinek said in April 2021, when the big box chain reopened its food courts during the pandemic.
The price has stayed stagnant even as
So far over the inflationary period of the last year, Costco has also been reluctant to raise the prices of other staples, including its famous $4.99 rotisserie chicken. Costco Chief Financial Officer Rich Galanti said in a May earnings call that there were no plans to charge higher prices on the chicken, despite "inflationary pressures" including "higher labor costs, higher freight costs, higher transportation demand, along with the container shortage and port delays."
Costco did not respond to Insider's request for comment.
Do you have a story to share about a
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google makes changes to Android and Google Play services in India after CCI setback
- 'Padma Shri' honour encapsulates my entire body of work: Raveena Tandon
- PMV Electric car with no front passenger seat enters Shark Tank but exits with no deal
- The Union Budget is round the corner, but is your budget sorted?
- Have you ever observed your mother's time management skills?: Modi on Pariksha Pe Charcha