Future Retail’s appeal to end Singapore arbitration initiated by Amazon has been turned down
- Future Retail sought termination of arbitration proceedings in Singapore that passed judgement in favour of
- The development comes after the CCI revoked its clearance to Amazon’s 2019 deal with Future Coupons.
- The deal had set ground for Amazon’s disapproval of Reliance Industries- Future Group deal.
It was through this deal, the American e-commerce giant got a 3% stake in Future Retail.
Not just the CCI, even the National Company Law Tribunal had allowed Future Group to seek the approval of its shareholders to sell the retail unit to Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries for ₹24,715 crore.
Amazon’s contention is that its agreement with Future Group had clearly mentioned that Future Group cannot sell its retail assets, or engage in any business with 11 companies, including Reliance.
However, according to Amazon Future Group decided to sell its retail assets and warehouse to Reliance without informing the company led by Jeff Bezos. The Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC) considered the
However, the latest verdict from the Delhi High Court has tilted the scales in favour of Amazon, which has trying to stall Future’s deal with Reliance and wanting to buy out Biyani’s chains like Big Bazaar and Pantaloons to strengthen its presence in India’s ₹779-billion retail sector.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal tests positive for COVID-19
After Deepinder Goyal and Kunal Shah, Info Edge backs this 10-month-old tech startup
AdvertisementMeet Alka Mittal, the first woman to head oil giant ONGC
Popular on BI
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes
- Delhi's top must-do winter activities this season
- Tata Technologies IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more