Gap is using its factories to make masks, gowns, and scrubs for healthcare workers
- Gap will use its factory resources to make personal protective equipment for healthcare workers.
- The retailer announced via Twitter that it would "pivot resources so factory partners can make masks, gowns & scrubs for healthcare workers on the front lines."
- Gap announced the temporary closures of its company owned and operated stores across North America, effective March 19.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Gap is the latest retailer to announce a commitment to use its resources to create personal protective equipment like masks and scrubs for healthcare workers.
The company announced on Wednesday via Twitter that it would "pivot resources so factory partners can make masks, gowns & scrubs for healthcare workers on the front lines."
Gap said it would connect with hospitals in California to deliver the supplies.
Gap made the decision to temporarily close its company owned and operated stores across North America, including Old Navy, Athleta, Banana Republic, Gap, Janie and Jack, and Intermix brands. The closures were effective March 19.
Other retailers have announced similar initiatives to support healthcare workers as the coronavirus prompts a nationwide shortage of masks and other protective equipment. In California, hospitals have turned to Los Angeles seamstresses to make masks.
Nike also announced it was creating personal protective equipment such as face shields to support doctors and nurses in Oregon. Zara announced a similar initiative.
Get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
An update on our #COVID19 response: Our teams are connecting some of the largest hospital networks in Calif. w/ our vendors to deliver PPE supplies while we pivot resources so factory partners can make masks, gowns & scrubs for healthcare workers on the front lines.- Gap Inc. (@GapInc) March 25, 2020
- Maha crisis: Sena calls floor test illegal and malafide
- GST on casinos, lotteries, horse races deferred as Nirmala Sitharaman
- Shiprocket is India’s most valuable gazelle, and all set to turn unicorn in 2 years, says report
- Zepto, Dunzo among the next 122 unicorns from India — here's the complete Hurun list
- BYJU's cuts 600 jobs across Toppr, WhiteHat Jr