I tried keto meals from 5 different fast-food chains and found there was a huge variety in what you can get
- The keto diet consists mainly of foods with low levels of carbohydrates and high levels of fat and protein.
- People who choose to go on the keto diet may be surprised that many fast-food restaurants have options that fit within the diet's strict parameters.
- I tried out keto meal options from five different fast-food establishments - McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, Burger King, Wendy's, and Shake Shack - to see how they tasted and which ones I would order again, keto or no keto.
- I found the Chick-fil-A grilled chicken nuggets to be the tastiest keto meal option, followed by the Shake Shack lettuce burger.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
I'm no stranger to the keto diet.
In 2017, I went on the keto diet for six months, giving up carbs and fast food in the process. In those days, I had no idea that I could eat a delicious fast-food meal while staying in "ketosis," a state of fat-burning that has been linked with weight loss.Though I no longer follow the keto diet, I wanted to see just what I was missing all those years ago.
I tried out keto meal options from five different fast-food establishments - McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, Burger King, Wendy's, and Shake Shack - to see how they tasted, how accommodating the restaurant was, and which ones I would order again, keto or no keto.
From what I decided to order, Chick-fil-A came out on top with its delicious grilled nuggets, which I was able to pair with two different sauces: zesty Buffalo and the chain's avocado lime ranch salad dressing.
Here's the full run-down of every keto fast-food meal option I tried, ranked in order of worst to best.