Insider Retail: McDonald's Travis Scott collaboration is a success, but its spicy chicken nuggets disappoint
Hello and happy Friday!
Welcome back to another week of Insider
Now onto the news of the week:
McDonald's also wants employees to learn Travis Scott catchphrases that customers will use to order the meal, such as "the Fornite guy burger" and "You know why I am here" (while playing Scott' music).
With sales doing so well, McDonald's said that we can expect more celebrity partnerships from the chain in the future.
Amazon is hiring 133,000 new full-time and part-time employees in the US and Canada, in part driven by a pandemic-era boost in sales.
While this latest hiring spree is big, the largest confirmed workforce increase for the company occured between between 2016 and 2017. Áine and Hayley tracked Amazon's workforce growth via two charts, which highlight the chain's explosive growth.
This week, Catherine dug into the lucrative world of drop shipping, a type of fulfillment method where the seller acts as an intermediary between the customer and the supplier and does not hold any inventory. She spoke to Kamil Sattar, a drop shipper that has already made $1.7 million in sales on Shopify this year.
McDonald's launched its spicy chicken McNuggets on Wednesday. Naturally, Irene had to see if the new menu item was a worthy challenger to spicy nuggets at Wendy's, which were brought back last year.
Her verdict? Wendy's is still the "reigning champion of spicy nuggets," beating out McDonald's when it comes to spice, flavor, and price.
Everything else you need to know:
- Peloton might have a left peddle problem.
- Target is experiencing "one of the fastest rebuilds of a Target store ever" in the Minneapolis store that was destroyed in mid-November during racial protests.
- Kraft Heinz has a new strategy for managing its food brands.
- Chuck E. Cheese is looking to destroy about 7 billion paper prize tickets worth about $9 million in prizes.
- This TikTok spurred hoodie sales for a DTC clothing brand.
- The ex-girlfriend of ousted McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook talks about becoming a tabloid sensation
- RIL, PNB, Reliance Capital, Union Bank of India and other hot stocks on November 30
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT-Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries