KFC faces boycott in China over a wildly popular promotion that drove one customer to spend a whopping $1,650 on meals
- A Chinese consumer group is calling for a
- KFC is giving away limited-edition toys with select meals as part of an anniversary promotion.
KFC is under scrutiny in
The fried chicken chain partnered with Chinese toy maker Pop Mart to give away Dimoo toy dolls with select KFC orders in celebration of the brand's 35th anniversary of its first restaurant in China. The giveaway prompted a frenzy to collect the dolls, with at least one customer spending $1,649 to buy 106 meals, according to a statement from The China Consumers Association.
Some would-be collectors hired helpers to buy meals and find toys for them, in some cases throwing away the food they were required to buy, the group said.
"KFC, as a food operator, uses the limited-edition blind box sales method to induce and condone consumers' irrational and excessive purchase of food packages," the organization wrote, which is "contrary to public order, good customs and the spirit of the law."
KFC's parent company
China has taken legal steps in recent years to curb food waste from promotions, including a major campaign in 2020 banning influencers from posting "wasteful binge eating" videos on social media.
Spending sprees around limited-edition
Fan excitement over McDonald's "Rick and Morty"-inspired Szechuan sauce was even more extreme, with some dedicated customers buying sauce packets online for hundreds of dollars, or even purchasing photos of the packets.
Do you have a story to share about a
- Yasin Malik sentenced to life in terror funding case
- Apple could be looking to increase production in India but its geopolitical tension with China might hinder the process, says analyst
- To help fight water scarcity, a machine that produces drinking water from air has been launched in India
- Voltas records an unprecedented triple-digit growth in April '22
- Best moisturizers to keep skin soft and nourished
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction