People are confused by Peloton's new holiday ad, which shows a woman taking selfies while riding the bike over the course of a year
The ad culminates with the couple viewing a montage of the woman's year on Peloton.
- Peloton just released a new commercial for the holiday season that people are trying to make sense of.
- The ad follows what appears to be a woman's yearlong selfie journey after her apparent husband gifted her a Peloton for the holidays the year prior.
- People are criticizing the ad for many reasons, including the role of the man in the commercial, who seems to be suggesting that his wife should work out more.
- People also find the awkward Instagram story set up of the ad uncomfortable.
- Peloton did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tech-enabled fitness equipment startup Peloton released a new ad for the holiday season that is sparking some controversy on Twitter.
The ad, which was released on YouTube on November 21 and is currently being shown on TV in the lead-up to the holidays, follows what appears to be a woman's yearlong selfie journey after her apparent partner gifted her a Peloton for the holidays the year prior.
The reaction to the commercial has garnered a vocal response on Twitter, mostly negative.
People are criticizing the ad for many reasons, from its awkward structure to the male character who seems to be suggesting his wife should work out more.
Here's a breakdown of the ad that has people losing their minds.
this ad is making me lose my goddamn mind pic.twitter.com/GXgypRkFOg- Sam (@SamuelMoen) December 1, 2019
I really thought Christmas music before Christmas was the worst, then I saw a Peloton ad. pic.twitter.com/GwqwbVe7wH- Sapiosexual -Bat- Jenkins (@ShallowPear) November 30, 2019
The ad begins with a woman receiving a Peloton bike as a gift from her apparent partner.
The ad gets stranger when the woman starts taking selfie videos of herself on the bike.
The ad continues showing the woman documenting working out on the machine on different days throughout the year.
The end of the ad shows the couple on the couch watching what appears to be a montage of the woman's last year on her Peloton.
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024