Retailers and delivery platforms are 'expecting the unexpected' this holiday season
- Business Insider talked to executives from
DoorDashand Macy'sduring its IGNITION: A RetailRevolution event on November 12.
- DoorDash director and general manager of retail management Carly Brush and Macy's VP of supply chain strategy Sean Barbour shared information about the delivery partnership between the two companies.
- Both brands are embracing flexibility around the holidays this year.
Macy's and DoorDash teamed up to offer same-day and next-day deliveries from the department store this year, and while the partnership may seem unusual, it's fitting ahead of holidays that are sure to be different thanks to COVID-19.DoorDash is "expecting the unexpected" this year, Carly Brush, DoorDash director and general manager of retail management, said November 12 during a panel discussion for Business Insider's IGNITION: A Retail Revolution event.
Barbour said that for Macy's, the advantage in partnering with an existing delivery network like DoorDash over creating an in-house delivery service is that DoorDash already has the infrastructure, so delivery is not limited only to urban centers. For DoorDash, delivering Macy's inventory straight from stores has a speed advantage over sourcing from warehouses that could take days, Brush said. Barbour noted that Macy's is embracing the flexibility necessary for holiday shopping this year, keeping inventory in stores but being willing to sell to in-person shoppers, curbside, or delivery as customer needs change.Delivering department-store orders seems very different from DoorDash's usual association with food, but Brush sees the common ground between them. In some ways, she said, working with Macy's is easier than completing food deliveries. If "you can keep a milkshake cold" for delivery, then transporting goods from Macy's is relatively easy.
- YES Bank launches a new musical logo to build a deeper connect with customers
- COVID-19: Students should leave hostels in Bengaluru if their institutions declare a holiday, says BBMP
- Non-banking finance firm Power Finance Corporation records 49% jump in net profits in FY21
- The Internet's original source code is going up for auction on Sotheby's as an NFT this month
- Best 55-inch smart TVs with 4K resolution