Target is permanently keeping its stores closed on Thanksgiving after sales soared during the 2020 holiday season
Targetwill keep stores closed on Thanksgiving Day again in 2021, and going forward.
- Despite last year's closure and the pandemic, Target saw a 17% jump in sales during the holidays.
Target will keep stores closed on Thanksgiving Day from now on, making last year's pandemic-driven closures permanent.
The retailer announced Monday that while some staff will report to its call and distribution centers on Thanksgiving, stores across the country will stay shuttered, according to the Associated Press.
"What started as a temporary measure driven by the pandemic is now our new standard — one that recognizes our ability to deliver on our guests' holiday wishes both within and well beyond store hours," Brian Cornell, Target's CEO, wrote in a note to employees, per the AP.
Target was among several major retailers, including Walmart, that kept stores closed on Thanksgiving 2020 in an effort to cut back on
Target announced in January that it would also keep its stores closed this Thanksgiving as well because the response last year was "so positive." Monday's announcement makes the change permanent going forward.
Prior to the pandemic, Target had opened its doors on Thanksgiving Day for roughly a decade, according to the AP. The move, also adopted by other major retailers like Best Buy and Macy's, was an effort to get a head-start on the
But staying closed last year didn't dent Target's profits: Despite the pandemic, Target saw a 17% jump in sales in 2020 compared to the year prior.
Spending over the Thanksgiving weekend, including Black Friday and
And while most of that spending — 60% — is expected to take place online, consumers are expected to return to stores this year. Deloitte's survey found that 56% of Black Friday shoppers are planning to shop in person this year, up from 41% last year.
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu