The 17 scariest crimes to ever hit the world of fast food
Nancy Stone/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images
- Fast food has an issue with everyday violence.
- Fast-food restaurants have also been the site of a number of high-profile homicides over the decades.
- In these cases, either fast-food employees or customers were targeted in a violent crime.
- The details of these crimes are highly disturbing.
- Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Fast food has a dark side.
It's no secret that the industry has a problem with everyday violence. In November, McDonald's workers in Chicago filed a lawsuit against the fast-food giant, alleging that it failed to protect its employees from "a daily risk of violence while at work."
And that undercurrent of chaos and brutality has flared up over the years, resulting in a number of truly frightening and violent acts perpetuated against fast-food employees and customers. Not all of these crimes have been solved, but all of the incidents described are disturbing.
Here's a look at a number of terrifying cases involving fast-food restaurants:
Four young Burger Chef employees vanished while closing up the restaurant for the night in 1978, and their murders remain unsolved
A parolee is said to have killed a Domino's driver as part of a murderous plot against Colorado's top prison officialAdvertisement
A newlywed Denny's manager was shot dead despite reportedly complying with robbers' demands
Police are still baffled by the unsolved murder of a Pizza Hut driver, whose death didn't appear to be motivated by robberyAdvertisement
A serial killer preyed on the employees of fast-food chains like Captain D's, McDonald's, and Baskin-Robbins
A Domino's driver headed out to deliver pizzas on the Fourth of July in 1982 and was never seen againAdvertisement
A serial strangler reportedly targeted his Taco Bell coworkers during his murder spree
Five Wendy's employees died after being shot execution-style during a robbery in QueensAdvertisement
A man murdered two former coworkers during an early morning robbery at Chili's
A man gunned down 21 people in a California McDonald's after reportedly telling his wife he was going "hunting for humans"Advertisement
An ex-Domino's manager reportedly led a murderous rampage against his former employer in 1985
A stolen currency bag led to a tragic early morning discovery in a Taco Bell walk-in freezerAdvertisement
Three Pizza Hut workers were bludgeoned and shot to death in a robbery
In 1991, firefighters responding to a blaze at an Austin yogurt shop were horrified to discover the bodies of four young girlsAdvertisement
An unemployed man with a history of misogynistic threats shot and killed 23 people after driving his truck through the window of a Luby's Cafeteria
A McDonald's employee is said to have plotted to rob his employer, with fatal consequencesAdvertisement
The owners and employees of a Brown's Chicken restaurant were gunned down in the eatery's walk-in fridge in 1993
- Best kids umbrellas that make rain or sun more fun
- Air India Express plane crash leaves 16 dead including both pilots with investigative teams on their way
- Best budget microwave ovens in India
- Best coffee mugs for cosy conversations & more
- First Man, Bandish Bandits— and other shows that you can watch on Netflix, Zee5, Disney+ Hotstar, and Amazon Prime