Victoria's Secret abandons its scantily dressed Angels, saying they're no longer 'culturally relevant.' Activists and entrepreneurs will be the new faces of the brand, it says.
Victoria's Secret's CEO said its Angels were no longer "culturally relevant."
- It said on Wednesday that it would partner with activists and entrepreneurs for its new image.
- Victoria's Secret has been working to overhaul its brand image after years of criticism.
Victoria's Secret is abandoning its Angels.
The lingerie giant said on Wednesday that it was partnering with a group of inspirational women including activists and entrepreneurs to promote a new brand image and shape its turnaround.
These women, who include the Indian actor and entrepreneur Priyanka Chopra Jonas and the pro soccer player and gender-equality activist Megan Rapinoe, will become the face and voice of the brand, Victoria's Secret said.
Victoria's Secret's Angels have been synonymous with the brand since the late 1990s. These women, who have included some of the world's most famous models over the years - Gisele Bündchen, Tyra Banks, and Heidi Klum, to name a few - were the face of Victoria's Secret through its marketing campaigns and annual runway shows.
In an interview with The New York Times published on Wednesday, Victoria's Secret CEO Martin Waters said the Angels were not "culturally relevant."
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, Victoria's Secret's runway show had a powerful role in defining "sexy." More recently, it has been criticized as outdated.
Ed Razek, a longtime marketing chief at Victoria's Secret's parent company,
Waters told The Times that the brand's overhaul was long overdue.
"In the old days, the Victoria brand had a single lens, which was called 'sexy,'" he said.
He added: "I've known that we needed to change this brand for a long time, we just haven't had the control of the company to be able to do it."
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024