Walmart has temporarily closed 500 stores as severe winter weather dumps snow and causes frigid temperatures in parts of the US
Walmarthas temporarily closed 500 stores nationwide due to severe winter storms.
- Parts of the South have been hit by snow, ice, and frigid temperatures since last week.
Texashas been hit particularly hard, and President Joe Biden has declared a state of emergency.
Walmart has temporarily closed more than 500 stores as an unprecedented
According to a tracker on Walmart's website, 501 stores are currently shut down, from Texas to Kentucky, due to
Many of the Walmart closures are concentrated in Texas, which has been battered by a winter storm that hit the region last Thursday. Icy conditions caused a 130-car pile-up on a highway near Fort Worth, leaving six people dead and over 60 injured. In response to the severe weather, Gov. Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration on Friday for all 254 counties in Texas.On Sunday, President Joe Biden declared a state of emergency in Texas, ordering that federal aid be sent to the region.
As of Monday, more than 3.6 million Texans were without power after the Electric Reliability Council of Texas started rolling blackouts across the state. Other Texas-based power providers have warned that demand for electricity during the storm has exceeded supply. The blackouts have since extended beyond Texas to Kansas, Missouri, and 12 other states.The storm is now causing tornadoes in parts of Florida and Georgia, and three people were killed by a twister in North Carolina. The winter weather is expected to move through the Northeast on Tuesday, bringing up to 10 inches of snow to New England. Now, a second storm is predicted to hit the South on Wednesday, bringing additional snow and ice to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas.
- OPPO A74 smartphone with 5G support and 90Hz display to launch in India soon, to be priced under ₹20,000
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far