Wendy's is giving away free food in honor of its 50th birthday - here's how to get some
- Wendy's is celebrating its 50th birthday with free food.
- Customers can access the free options by downloading the Wendy's app and using the scanner on a Wendy's cup or take-out bag.
- The chain released also released a new Birthday Cake Frosty in honor of the occasion.
- The free-item promotion lasts through January 3, 2020, Thrillist reported.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Wendy's is turning 50 and celebrating with free food.
Customers who download the Wendy's app can use the scanner tool on any Wendy's cup or takeout bag that comes with a purchase. This will unlock free menu items that can be redeemed on another trip to Wendy's and can include a cheeseburger, fries, a frosty, and more, Thrillist reported.The chain tweeted about the promotion on Monday.
The chain also launched a limited-edition Birthday Cake Frosty and Birthday Cake Frosty Cookie Sundae at participating Wendy's locations in honor of its 50th anniversary on Friday.
Wendy's was founded on November 15, 1969 in Columbus, Ohio. Today, there are more than 6,700 Wendy's locations across the world.