Rhode Island has the United States' worst roads - here's how other states rank
- The United States' infrastructure isn't in great shape.
- Not all states are created equal, though: Rhode Island, Oklahoma, and West Virginia rank the top three worst when it comes to maintenance.
- QuoteWizard analyzed federal highway data to determine where infrastructure was fairing the worst - and at what cost to taxpayers.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's no secret that America's roads and bridges are crumbling.
In its most recent "infrastructure report card," the American Society of Civil Engineers graded the United States' physical infrastructure - everything from tunnels, roads, bridges, electrical grid, and more - as a D+.
In other words, the country's physical underpinning could barely pass high school.
Of course, with so much of that network's maintenance spread out over 50 constituent states of the republic, not all areas are created equal. QuoteWizard, an auto insurance tool created by Lending Tree, combed through the Federal Highway Administration's data to rank the states on three categories: the fraction of roads that were in poor condition, the number of bridges that were deemed "structurally deficient", and how much the state spends on road repairs.
"Taxpayer funded highway capital delegated for states to maintain roads isn't enough to cover necessary repairs," the team behind the analysis said.
"Many states are spending the majority of their highway capital on expansion instead of maintenance of roads. At this rate, it becomes a never ending game of maintenance catch up. On top of taxpayer dollars, it's estimated that driving on roads in poor condition costs motorists $120 billion in vehicle repairs and operating costs. That's $533 per driver."
Here's where they found the state of repairs to be the worst:
10. New Mexico
6. New Jersey
3. West Virginia
1. Rhode Island
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Why the melting of the Arctic ice matters to India
- The economics behind Reliance Jio’s operations
- Akshay Kumar-led 'Cuttputlli' sets September 2 premiere on Disney+ Hotstar
- Best anti-dandruff shampoos to buy in India
- India’s first electric double-decker bus launched in Mumbai; to foster sustainability in Transport Sector