'Rocket League' joins 'Fortnite' in the PlayStation Cross-Play Beta, letting players on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC, and PS4 play together for the first time
- "Rocket League" has joined "Fortnite" in the PlayStation Cross-Play Beta program, giving players from four different platforms (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PC) the option to play together for the first time.
- "Rocket League" previously allowed cross play between PC, Xbox, and Switch players, with Sony's PlayStation 4 community as the lone holdout.
- Cross-play will be implemented with "Rocket League's" first update of 2019 and will require players to opt-in.
"Rocket League" will soon be the second game on PlayStation 4 to allow cross-platform play, enabling the game's community to join matches alongside players on the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PC.After years of pressure from fans and developers alike, Sony agreed to explore cross-platform play late last year. Traditionally, games have had separate player bases across different platforms to promote console-specific communities and minimize security concerns. In September 2018, "Fortnite" became the first game in the PlayStation Cross-Play Beta program, and players have had few issues playing the game together on a variety of smartphones, computers, and video game consoles.
"Fortnite" and "Rocket League" are paving the way for cross-platform play, and even more games may be able to benefit from connecting player bases that are split across different consoles. However, with Sony still restricting cross-play to beta tests, competition between console makers remains an obstacle.
- Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up — increasing the likelihood of it hitting Earth in 2068
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'
- Analysts expect no surprises from Axis Bank in the second quarter — loan growth and collections to be slow