Russian billionaire Mikhail Pokhorov has now decided he wants to own ALL of the Brooklyn Nets
Alexsey Druginyn/RIA Novosti/Pool/Reuters
According to Mitch Abramson of the New York Daily News, Prokhorov's seeking to buy out the team and its $1 billion home stadium, the Barclays Center.
The word is that the 10th wealthiest man in Russia might want to settle a debt of an undisclosed amount that Bruce Ratner, the team's minority shareholder, owes him - though no one can be for sure.
The team, which is currently juggling debt due to a bad television deal and high payroll for players, is worth about $1.5 billion, reported Forbes.
The sense within the industry is that Prokhorov wants to buy the team to sell it at a higher profit later, the Daily News reported.
"We can confirm that Onexim Sports and Entertainment is looking at various ways to restructure debt owed to the company in connection with its US assets," said a spokesperson for Prokhorov and his holding company, ONEXIM, over email to the Daily News. "One possibility is the conversion of such debt into equity and consolidation of shares, but there are other scenarios also under consideration by Onexim and its partners, and no decision has yet been made."
In other words, it's a proposed debt-to-equity swap.
Prokhorov owns 80 percent of the team, and 45 percent of the stadium.
At the time of purchase, Prokhorov agreed to pay 80 percent of the team's $220 million debt, ESPN reported. Russia's own tenuous economic situation may also be a factor in Prokhorov's decision.
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- Google's head of mental health and wellbeing was among the 12,000 workers laid off by the tech giant
- Mercedes-Benz says it has achieved Level 3 automation, which requires less driver input, surpassing the self-driving capabilities of Tesla and other major US automakers
- To not ‘police’ children’s creativity, moms create child-friendly art products & find investors on Shark Tank India
- India depended on others to solve its problems, it's now working to solve global problems: President Murmu
- Balaji Solutions, Enviro Infra Engineers get Sebi nod to float IPO
- Docu-series on Yash Chopra's legacy titled 'The Romantics' to drop on Netflix
- Hero Xoom with a sporty design launched in India – price, specs and more