Russian markets are getting slammed as fresh sanctions take hold
- Russian markets are getting slammed on Monday, with the country's RTS Index losing more than 10% by 1.oo p.m. BST (8.00 a.m. ET; 3.00 p.m. in Moscow). The ruble also fell following fresh sanctions from the US on Friday.
- "The US sanctions imposed on Russia last Friday have caused turmoil in Russia's markets today and financial conditions have tightened as a result. But at this stage it doesn't look like there will be a significant impact on growth in the economy as a whole," William Jackson, a senior emerging markets economist at Capital Economics said.
- While the RTS fell by more than 10%, the MICEX index, another key benchmark, fell by as much 8%. "It's not altogether clear why Russian assets suddenly took this turn for the worse, but it seems likely that there may be growing concerns that other companies could get caught in the net," Jackson added.
- The ruble fell sharply on Monday, losing as much as 3.5% against dollar.
Popular on BI
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’
- Three reasons why this might be a good time to buy Bitcoin
- Sony ZV-E10 vlogging camera with interchangeable lens launched in India
- US, India, Japan, Australia to sign pact for stepping up chip production, reduce dependence on China
- Here’s how to schedule an email in Gmail