Russia's Most Powerful Oil Official Says Oil Could Fall Below $60 In The Next Few Months
Sechin, chief executive of Rosneft, Russia's largest oil producer, also said U.S. oil production would fall after 2025 and that an oil market council should be created to monitor prices, the same day the OPEC cartel met in Vienna and left its output targets unchanged.
"We expect that a fall in the price to $60 and below is possible, but only during the first half, or rather by the end of the first half (of next year)," Sechin told the Die Presse newspaper.
On Thursday, OPEC decided against production cuts to halt a slide in global oil prices, sending benchmark Brent crude plunging to a fresh four-year low below $73 a barrel. Russia is not a member of OPEC.
Sechin, who met representatives from world oil powers in Vienna earlier in the week, said he believed Russia had the potential to cut between 200,000 and 300,000 barrels a day of production if prices remained low.
On U.S. oil production, Sechin said: "After 2025, the production volumes will decrease, namely because of the resource base, to the extent that we know it today."
Earlier on Thursday, Rosneft said in a statement that OPEC's decision to leave its output unchanged would not affect the work of the company.
(Writing by Alexander Winning; Editing by David Evans and Keiron Henderson)
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Rockstud Capital announces partial exit from Uber’s fleet service provider
- India sees demand for property worth over ₹1 cr drive record real estate sales
- Indian auto sector can become export-led $1 trillion industry by 2035: Arthur D Little
- Samsung launches S23 Fan Edition with Exynos 2200 in India
- Vivo launches V29 and V29 Pro to take on Nothing Phone 2, OnePlus 11R this festive season