Salary hikes, voluntary attrition decline in top sectors in Q1 FY18
According to online recruitment and career solutions portal Wisdomjobs.com, most industries witnessed conservative appraisals that were considerably lower than the two-digit salary hikes seen in the previous year.
"Most sectors have seen conservative appraisals this quarter on the back of several external factors that impacted them in the previous two quarters," Wisdomjobs.com founder & CEO Ajay Kolla said.
Kolla further said, "hiring outlook of Indian companies, although still positive, will be characterised by a wait-and- watch approach as they come to terms with the real impact of automation - especially in the IT sector - and the consequent need for re-skilling their employees".
This trend is likely to continue for a couple of quarters before picking up again, he said.
The survey noted that while layoffs, especially in the IT sector, contributed to maintain the overall attrition levels, voluntary attrition levels declined in the first quarter of this year.
"This can be attributed to the uncertainty in the job market, and the consequent slowdown in hiring across most sectors," the survey said.
Amid conservative appraisals in most sectors, the survey said the IT industry was in the forefront with several companies deciding to defer appraisals for middle and senior level staff.
The healthcare and retail sector topped the
FMCG & Telecom gave a hike of 9.6 per cent, while employees in infrastructure and manufacturing got salary hike of 9.2 per cent and 9 per cent, respectively.
AdvertisementHyderabad, Mumbai &
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report