Samsung has introduced new $130 earbuds to take on Apple's popular AirPods - here's how they compare
- Samsung recently announced the Galaxy Buds, wireless bluetooth headphones designed to compete with Apple's AirPods.
- Starting at $129.99, Galaxy Buds are cheaper than AirPods, which retail for $159 with similar features.
- Both devices offer a built-in microphone, Bluetooth connectivity, wireless charging, and personal assistant support.
- At a lower price point, the Galaxy Buds also have two additional color options and a slightly longer battery life than the AirPods.
Samsung recently revealed the Galaxy Buds, a set of wireless earbuds designed to compete with Apple's AirPods. Starting at $129.99, the Galaxy Buds are a bit cheaper than the $159 AirPods, and generally benefit from newer technology.
Since their release in December 2016, Apple's AirPods have defined the market for wireless headphones. While Samsung produced multiple models of Bluetooth headphones before the AirPods were announced, the Galaxy Buds are the first pair of wireless buds to ship under the same name as the company's flagship smartphone.
The Galaxy Buds will be released on March 8th for $129.99; those who pre-order the new Samsung Galaxy S10 or S10+ smartphones will receive a free pair.
When compared to the AirPods, the newer Galaxy Buds offer an additional microphone, an extra hour of battery life, wireless charging, and two extra color choices. But the core features remain similar with either choice - the Galaxy Buds and AirPods both have a built-in microphone, connect wirelessly, and are primarily controlled using your smartphone's virtual assistant.
These are the key differences between the Samsung Galaxy Buds and the Apple AirPods:
When choosing between the AirPods and Galaxy Buds, your preference of smartphone and virtual assistant is important.
The Galaxy Buds come in both white, black, and yellow, while the AirPods are exclusively white.
AirPods have programmable buttons, which allow for quick controls and some customization. The Galaxy Buds don't have any external buttons.
The Galaxy Buds case allows for wireless charging, and the new Galaxy S10 phone can charge other devices on the go. The AirPods case doesn't have wireless charging, at least not yet.
Both the Galaxy Buds and AirPods contain technology to maintain quality during noisy calls.
Galaxy Buds are slightly cheaper than AirPods.
Samsung's Galaxy Buds benefit from newer technology, but the AirPods should still suit most needs.
- Yatra Online stock slips below its issue price on listing
- Prunes: Nature's sweet secret to wellness
- A good season ahead for cement companies with price hikes
- Apricots: A nutrient-packed fruit for health and culinary delights
- Startup funding hits a 5-year low in July-September quarter