Samsung India Mobile Head Vineet Taneja Has Resigned, Sources Say
Talks about Taneja’s exit were doing the rounds over the past two months. However, he has not made up his mind regarding the next job, as per sources.
Although Taneja could not be immediately reached for comments on his quitting, a Samsung India spokesperson said, "Samsung does not comment on rumour or speculation."
While Samsung has maintained its market share in the mobile phone business, the Indian arm has been facing pressure lately for losing some momentum. For instance, sales of its
This was one of the reasons behind Taneja's exit, according to a senior trade partner of Samsung India. "There's huge pressure on Vineet to continue with 30-40% growth rate despite the market growth rate slowing down," the trade partner said.
Taneja was also unhappy with the changes in the management of Samsung India, which saw him report to SK Kim, managing director (sales). Earlier, he directly reported to BD Park, managing director of Samsung India.
According to CyberMedia Research, Samsung led the Indian smartphone market with 38.9% share in the January-March quarter, followed by Micromax at 19.1%, Karbonn at 6.9%, Lava at 6.1% and Nokia at 5.3%.
Taneja had earlier left Bharti Airtel where he worked as the operations director for South India and Sri Lanka. He is a graduate from IIT Roorkee and did his MBA from IIM Calcutta.
Image Courtesy: Thinkstock
Popular on BI
- Apple is hiring engineers and interns for their tech team in India
- Actor James Michael Tyler, known for his role as Gunther on 'Friends,' has passed away at 59 from prostate cancer
- Apple is being sued by a San Francisco man for $1,383.13, the exact cost of his iPhone 12. He says the company refused to fix the device while it was under warranty.
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Nobel Peace Prize winning journalist calls out Mark Zuckerberg, links Facebook to the atom bomb
- Reliance Jio lost subscribers for the first time in 10 quarters but there's good news for Mukesh Ambani in this too
- Pankaj Tripathi and Maanvi Gagroo reprise their role as Kaleen Bhaiyya and Siddhi in Amazon Prime India's Diwali campaign
- Internal documents reveal how Facebook struggled to deal with misinformation and hate speech in India