Samsung's wildly ambitious $2,000 folding phone is a disaster for the smartphone giant - here's what happened
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- Samsung is the first major smartphone maker to launch a foldable smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy Fold.
- The ambitious $2,000 device was first shown off as a prototype in late 2018, and detailed in early 2019. But when reviewers got the Galaxy Fold in April, several broke.https://www.businessinsider.com/category/samsung
- And now, Samsung is pushing back the release date of the device just days before launch.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In a single week, Samsung's ambitious $2,000 foldable smartphone went from being a fascinating, awe-inspiring gadget of the future to a disaster.The Galaxy Fold, which was meant to be the first phone ever with a foldable touchscreen, had been teased, unveiled and distributed to select tech reviewers in a carefully orchestrated rollout over the past six months. But once in the hands of reviewers, the phone's foldable screen - and all its mystique - cracked and crumbled. Advertisement
On Monday, Samsung acknowledged the inevitable and announced that the Galaxy Fold would be delayed for at least several weeks as the company tries to fix the phone's problems.
So, what happened to Samsung's Galaxy Fold? Here's the whole story:
1. In November 2018, Samsung teased its foldable smartphone concept.
2. Months passed with no news on Samsung's smartphone concept. The Korean smartphone giant focused on its other device categories during the Consumer Electronics Show in January.Advertisement
3. Samsung debuted the Galaxy Fold, and gave it a name, during its "Unpacked" event in February.
4. The device was priced at $1,980 and given an April 26 launch date.Advertisement
5. In mid-April, just ahead of the planned April 26 launch of the Galaxy Fold, Samsung offered an opportunity for the media to use it. The early impressions were largely positive.
6. But just days later, review units started failing for a variety of different reasons.Advertisement
7. The Galaxy Fold screen protector became a major sticking point.
8. A few days later, Samsung officially delayed the Galaxy Fold. A new release date is expected in the coming weeks.Advertisement
- Now tell Google Assistant, Siri to open Alexa app on smartphone
- 26 more BSF personnel test COVID-19 positive in Meghalaya
- Tata Motors reports 64% decline in group global wholesales in the first-quarter
- Guj: Diamond trader kills self after testing COVID-19 positive
- 16 new COVID-19 cases reported in Tripura, tally rises to 1,790