Say No To Meat, Save Earth!
AdvertisementBelieve it or not, the power to reduce
The researchers believe that this will make it harder to meet global targets on limiting emissions.
The scientists, who conducted this study, requested people across the globe to consume two portions of red meat and seven of poultry a week.
It is worth nothing that the call comes at a time when the world's cities are witnessing a surge in burger restaurants. The study also reveals that more and more people from different countries around the globe are adopting American-style diets. This is eventually leading to a sizeable increase in the consumption of meat and dairy products.
If this trend will continue, more and more forest land or fields currently used for arable crops will be converted for use by livestock. This will create more trouble for
"There are basic laws of biophysics that we cannot evade. The average efficiency of livestock converting plant feed to meat is less than 3%, and as we eat more meat, more arable cultivation is turned over to producing feedstock for animals that provide meat for humans,” said Bojana Bajzelj, the lead researcher from the
"The losses at each stage are large, and as humans globally eat more and more meat, conversion from plants to food becomes less and less efficient, driving agricultural expansion and releasing more greenhouse gases. Agricultural practices are not necessarily at fault here - but our choice of food is," he concluded.
Popular on BI
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts