5 key challenges facing 23andMe ahead of its public debut
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm Lydia Ramsey Pflanzer, and today in
- We looked through 23andMe's financial filings as it prepares to go public via SPAC;
- What the WHO found in its investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus;
- We got the scoop that Walmart's chief medical officer is leaving the company.
If you're new to this newsletter, sign up here. Comments or tips? Email me at email@example.com or tweet @lydiaramsey125. Now, let's get to it...
Some breaking news for you this morning - Pfizer and BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine was highly effective at preventing infections in kids ages 12 to 15, the company said Wednesday morning. That's according to results from a trial of more than 2,000 12- to 15-year-olds.
We just got the best look yet at the consumer genetics market ahead of 23andMe's public debut. Here are the 5 biggest obstacles the $3.6 billion company will have to overcome.
23andMeis going public via a reverse merger with Richard Branson's SPAC.
- The DNA-testing startup will be worth $3.6 billion when the deal is completed.
- The filings provide a clear look behind the scenes of the troubled consumer genetics industry.
The WHO's leader said its investigation into whether the coronavirus leaked from a Wuhan lab was not 'extensive enough'
- After an investigation, the WHO said it's "extremely unlikely" the
coronavirusleaked from a lab.
- But the WHO's director-general said its investigation of that theory wasn't "extensive enough."
- There's no evidence the virus had been in any labs, but the WHO couldn't conduct a full audit.
A top Walmart healthcare exec is leaving the retail giant
- Dr. Thomas Van Gilder, the chief medical officer at Walmart, is leaving the retail giant.
- Gilder is leaving to pursue new opportunities, according to an internal memo seen by Insider.
- His departure comes after Sean Slovenski, president of Walmart health and wellness, left in August 2020.
Read the full memo sent to staff here>>
More stories we're reading:
- CVS vaccine appointments are fully booked in nearly every New York county hours after eligibility opened up to people 30 or older (Insider)
- The FTC is challenging Illumina's planned acquisition of cancer-detection company Grail (a company Illumina once spun out) (The Wall Street Journal)
- Watch: Maternal health experts answer your questions about the COVID-19 vaccine in pregnancy (Insider)
- Operation Warp Speed lives on under the Biden administration, now called "The Operation" (Stat News)
Popular on BI
- Wild video shows Florida police officers wrangling a huge alligator in the middle of the street
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge
- India exported military hardware worth ₹15,920 crore in 2022-23: Rajnath
- From Citadel to Ponniyin Selvan 2: a look at the shows & movies releasing in April