A doctor shares what it's like to take part in a vaccine trial
Welcome to Business Insider's daily healthcare newsletter, your daily dose of pharma, biotech, and
Today in healthcare news: A doctor shares her experience taking part in a COVID-19 trial, an inside look at Oscar Health's financials, and the role poor leadership plays in America's coronavirus death toll.
I'm a doctor who volunteered to get one of the first coronavirus shots. Here's why I got involved, and what the side effects have been like.
- Lisa Fitzpatrick, MD, MPH, is an infectious diseases doctor and medical epidemiologist living in the Congress Heights area of Washington, DC.
- She's participating in the Phase 3 Moderna mRNA-1273
vaccinetrial, which she signed up for to demonstrate her confidence in vaccine science during a time when "fear and distrust are flourishing."
- It's been an easy process so far, though she did experience mild side effects like soreness in her arm and fatigue.
Here's a comprehensive look at the growth of Oscar Health since the hot health-insurance startup began signing up customers
- Founded in 2012, Oscar got its start on the individual exchanges implemented by the Affordable Care Act.
- It's grown to 420,000 members as of the start of 2020.
- Here's a look at Oscar's enrollment and financial performance from 2014 to 2020.
- In the spring, many countries had high death rates, as the
coronaviruscirculated around the world unchecked.
- But in the months since then, most countries took simple steps to prevent disease transmission, and death rates fell dramatically.
- Except the US: the country has been a consistent outlier in coronavirus deaths.
- A new study shows just how bad the US lagged behind other rich countries over the summer, in disease control and prevention.
More stories we're reading:
- Moderna's CEO is aiming for an emergency authorization of its vaccine by December should it work (The Wall Street Journal)
- AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine trial in the US could resume as soon as this week (Reuters)
- The DOJ just slammed Google with a landmark antitrust case, kicking off the largest legal challenge in the tech giant's history (Business Insider)
- 10 residents at a Kansas nursing home died after all 62 living there tested positive for COVID-19 (Insider)
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Best AMD desktop processors — which one to buy in India?
- Best AMD Ryzen laptops in India
- Best TVs with HDR support in India
- Bored Ape NFT sells for $2.7 million, making it the most expensive in Yacht Club collection
- Startup salaries have increased over 40% in the last six months