A top vaccine expert thinks it may be a few years before we need coronavirus booster shots
Matt Rourke/AP Photos
Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm Lydia Ramsey Pflanzer, and today in
- Top vaccine expert Dr. Paul Offit thinks we'll need COVID-19 booster shots in 3-5 years;
- We mapped out the most and least vaccinated counties;
- Here's how COVID-19 vaccines stack up against 4 variants, including the one found in India.
- A leading vaccine expert said he thinks people won't need COVID-19 booster shots for years.
- Dr. Paul Offit said his best guess was that booster shots would be needed in three to five years.
- The rotavirus-vaccine coinventor said protection against severe disease should be long-lasting.
- Across US counties, vaccination rates range from 0.1% to nearly 100%.
- The contrasts between each state's most and least vaccinated county reveals stark disparities.
- Unvaccinated communities remain vulnerable to coronavirus outbreaks.
- Some coronavirus
variantsare more transmissible and can partially evade vaccine-induced antibodies.
- But COVID-19 vaccines appear to be effective against many variants, including those found in India.
- The charts below compare worrisome variants and how well leading vaccines work against them.
More stories we're reading:
- We spoke with 21 young Americans about coming of age in 2021. They are looking ahead with cautious optimism.(Insider)
- Check out these graphics about the aging American population (Kaiser Health News)
- German scientists say they've figured out why AstraZeneca's and Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccines can cause rare blood clots (Insider)
- Silicon Valley is trying to keep dogs living longer (Bloomberg)
Popular on BI
- 479 leaked photos purporting to show Putin's secret palace, with an ice rink and pole-dancing room, published by Navalny foundation
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- The first pig-heart transplant patient was denied a human heart after failing to follow doctors' orders
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter