Chrissy Teigen says after 6 months of no alcohol she's off anxiety medication
Chrissy Teigensaid she quit drinking alcoholsix months ago, and it improved her life.
- She said she stopped taking anti-anxiety meds called benzodiazepines (which include Xanax and Valium).
Supermodel and media personality Chrissy Teigen said abstaining from alcohol for six months has significantly reduced her
Teigen posted on Instagram January 19 that while she no longer craves alcohol, "time has not exactly flown by" while she was abstaining. She said she's not sure yet if she'll ever drink again, but is looking forward to having a full year alcohol-free before re-evaluating. So far, the benefits have been clear.
"I now have endless energy way less anxiety (no more benzos!) and I am happier and more present than ever," she wrote.
Benzodiazepines, known as benzos for short, are a class of anti-anxiety prescription medications that include Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, and Halcion. The medications are used to treat anxiety, panic disorders, and insomnia, as well as muscle spasms and alcohol addiction. They work on specific receptors in the brain related to the brain chemical gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), helping reduce stimulation and promote a sense of calm.
Alcohol can worsen anxiety, according to science
Alcohol also affects GABA, which is why many people use it to relieve anxiety and feel more relaxed and confident. However, alcohol can worsen anxiety over time, evidence suggests. When you stop drinking, the boost of feel-good GABA dissipates, and the brain ends up with too much of another chemical, glutamate, linked to anxiety.
The chemical reaction in the brain helps explain why some people feel "hangxiety" or panic after heavy drinking.
In contrast, cutting back on alcohol may help support good mental health by improving sleep quality, and promoting healthy levels of dopamine, another feel-good brain chemical.
- Samsung launches Galaxy S23, S23 Plus and S23 Ultra - All you need to know about the new flagship phones
- First Impressions: Samsung Galaxy S23, S23 Plus, and S23 Ultra bet big on photography and gaming
- Gautam Adani takes the high road and calls off Adani Enterprises FPO after a 28% crash in stock price
- Budget Impact: 10 stocks that stand to gain from FM’s announcements
- Budget to boost confidence of global investors and rating agencies on the India story