Europe's top regulator weighs in on J&J's COVID-19 vaccine
Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images
Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm Lydia Ramsey Pflanzer, and today in
- The EMA wants a warning attached to J&J's vaccine;
- How to make it through vaccine side effects, including how to avoid painkillers;
- 2020 was the deadliest year for trans people in the US, Insider's reporting shows.
The EMA found a possible link between the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine and 'unusual blood clots' and wants a warning attached
- The European Medicines Agency found a possible link between the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19
vaccineand 'unusual' blood clots cases with low levels of blood platelets.
- The EMA said the link should be listed as "very rare
side effectsof the vaccine."
- Johnson & Johnson said it would add the information and that shipments had resumed to Europe.
- It's normal to have side effects for 48 hours after your
- But there are ways to minimize discomfort, like moving your arm or taking hot showers.
- Medical experts recommend avoiding pain relievers and strenuous exercise, if possible.
2020 was the deadliest year on record for transgender people in the US, Insider database shows. Experts say it's getting worse.
- More trans people were killed in 2020 than in any year on record. A majority were Black trans women.
- The American Medical Association said that while the rate of violence is increasing, we are nowhere near the breaking point.
- Insider compiled a database to track every trans person killed in 2019, 2020, and 2021 and the trends behind these deaths.
More stories we're reading:
- It's pointless to wear a surgical mask over a fabric mask - the other way around is most effective, study finds (Insider)
- We don't know enough to say if vaccines change your period (The New York Times)
- The billionaire scientist who developed the BioNTech-Pfizer breakthrough vaccine has not sold any shares in BioNTech's surging stock (Insider)
- What it's like to catch COVID-19 after getting vaccinated (Stat News)
Popular on BI
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal