Lexi Reed, an influencer who documented her 300-pound weight loss, says she wants to get back to the gym after recovering from kidney failure
- Weight-loss influencer Lexi Reed says she's recovering from a rare condition that can cause kidney failure.
- Known for her more than 300-pound weight loss, Reed wrote that she wants to "be back in the gym."
Weight-loss influencer Lexi Reed said she wants to "be back in the gym," after revealing she's healing from post-surgery wounds from her knees up to her shoulders.
In a September 15 Instagram post, Reed said the wounds are related to her calciphylaxis diagnosis.
Calciphylaxis is rare disease that causes calcium buildup in the small blood vessels where fat and skin tissue are, according to the Mayo Clinic. People with the condition typically need dialysis or a kidney transplant due to kidney failure, and open sores in areas of the body with high fat content is a common symptom. Antibiotics, surgery, and intravenous medications can help treat calciphylaxis.
"Life has been a lot different for me this year, but despite the setback, I'm still looking forward to the comeback. Thank you all for the continued prayers and for being patient with me while I take this time to heal - love you all," Reed wrote on Instagram.
Two days after her husband Danny shared an Instagram post from her account announcing Reed's hospitalization and saying "sadly we don't have health insurance," Reed posted a screenshot of a GoFundMe called "Support Lexi Reed in her Medical Expenses."
Some followers commented on the post, questioning why she needed financial help when she has a high "net worth" as an influencer. In response, Reed previously told Insider, "People seem to think I'm some sort of millionaire just because the internet says so, but we're far from that."
In March 2022, Reed told Insider she is "grateful and blessed" by those who donated to her GoFundMe, which raised $70,000, "especially when most of them haven't met me in real life."
Reed's Instagram account gained popularity in 2016 when she started to document her weight loss journey. In two years, Reed lost 312 pounds, People.com reported. In 2018, she told the magazine she started her weight-loss journey as part of a challenge to cut out soda, alcohol, cheat meals, and eating at restaurants. After losing weight, Reed had surgery to remove seven pounds of loose skin from her stomach.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns