Magnesium benefits: Why it's great for bone, muscle, and brain health
Magnesiumis a macromineral that's important for many bodily actions including DNA repair, protein formation, glucose metabolization, and proper neurological function.
deficiencyis rare for healthy adults. Those with gastrointestinal diseases, type 2 diabetes, and chronic alcoholism are more at risk of magnesium deficiency.
- Foods rich in magnesium include boiled spinach, dry roasted almonds, and cooked black beans.
- This article was medically reviewed by Xin Ma, MD, a board-certified
lifestylemedicine specialist at Baylor College of Medicine.
Magnesium is an essential mineral for good
Here's what you need to know about what magnesium is good for, how to get enough of it, and what happens when you're magnesium deficient.
How much magnesium per dayThere are two types of essential minerals the human body needs — macro and trace minerals. Magnesium is one of seven macro minerals, meaning you need relatively large amounts of it each day to stay healthy.
|Birth to 6 months||30 milligrams (mg)|
|7-12 months||75 mg|
|1-3 years||80 mg|
|4-8 years||130 mg|
|9-13 years||240 mg|
|14-18 years||410 mg for boys and 360 mg for girls|
|18+ years||400-420 mg for men and 310-320 mg for women|
|Pregnant||350-400 mg depending on age|
|Breastfeeding||310-360 mg depending on age|
What foods have magnesium
The mineral is found in many whole foods. Though it may be difficult to determine how much magnesium is in your food while grocery shopping because the FDA doesn't require magnesium to be listed on food labels unless that food is fortified with it.That said, if you're following a healthy
Foods rich in magnesium include:
- Whole wheat bread: 2 slices provides about 12% of your daily value (DV) for an adult.
- Boiled spinach: ½ cup provides 20% DV.
- Dry roasted almonds: 1 ounce provides 20% DV.
- Cooked black beans: ½ cup provides 15% DV.
- You can also get magnesium through fortified foods and beverages like certain breakfast cereals and mineral water.
What does magnesium doThe majority — about 60% — of magnesium is present in your bones and teeth. Therefore, magnesium plays an essential role in healthy bones and teeth, and a deficiency can lead to osteoporosis and periodontal disease. The other 40% of magnesium shows up in soft tissue in cells throughout the human body. In these cells, magnesium binds to key molecules like protein, nucleic acids, and lipids.
This binding action is what makes these molecules capable of performing their jobs including protein formation, replication and repair of DNA, proper neurological function, muscle contraction, and glucose metabolization.
That's why magnesium deficiency can increase a person's risk of a slew of diseases including type 2 diabetes, hypertension, coronary heart disease, and stroke.
Signs of magnesium deficiencyEarly symptoms of magnesium deficiency, according to David Nazarian MD include:
- Muscle twitches
- Muscle cramps
- Loss of appetite
"It is very rare to have a [severe] magnesium deficiency since it is common in a lot of different foods, however, it can happen," Gregg says.
In general, healthy people aren't at risk of a severe magnesium deficiency because the kidneys restrict urinary excretion. However, specific health concerns or conditions can cause deficiency.In particular, people with gastrointestinal diseases, type 2 diabetes, people with chronic alcoholism, as well as older adults are at greater risk of deficiency, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Related stories about diet and nutrition:
- Indian School of Business ranked 1st in India, 44th globally as per MBA Ranking 2021 by The Economist
- 25 kg gold jewellery and ₹96,000 cash stolen at gunpoint from Muthoot Finance branch in Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Budget session from February 10
- IPL players auction to be held on February 18, says BCCI official
- Sensex slips 763 points, Nifty ends below 14,400 — metals, banks drag market lower