Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine may cause temporary swelling for people with facial fillers
- As advisors of an FDA advisory committee heard, the
Modernacoronavirus vaccinecaused facial swelling in two study participants with recent dermal fillers.
- The swelling is an immunological response to the vaccine. Inflammation is part of the immune system kicking into gear, and it can momentarily reacts to foreign objects as well, including fillers.
- Experts say this should not prevent people who have had cosmetic fillers in the past from getting vaccinated for the coronavirus.
While reviewing the Moderna
Dr. Litjen Tan, chief strategy officer of the Immunization Action Coalition, told Insider the response is nothing to be concerned about. It is simply evidence of the immune system kicking into action."This is reflected in the systemic reactions that we see such as a day or two with mild fever, etc.," Tan wrote to Insider in an email. "That same immune response can also react against the cosmetic fillings as these fillings would be seen as 'foreign' (immunologically speaking)."
This might sound intimidating, especially to people who contributed to the 64% jump in cosmetic procedures - primarily botox injections and lip fillers - in the early months of lockdown.But experts say this should not deter patients from getting vaccinated.
"One thing to know is that the individuals with these responses after vaccination were easily treated by steroids and anti-inflammatories with no long-term deleterious outcomes," Dr. David Verhoeven, an expert in virology and professor of Vet Microbiology & Preventive Medicine at Iowa State University, told Insider.If patients have had dermal fillers that have not fully dissolved, experts advise they should speak to their primary care physician about their options. "I would definitely suggest that the individual inform their healthcare provider that they had a dermal injection so that the healthcare is aware of the potential for an adverse reaction," Verhoeven told Insider.
- Kerala's COVID-19 test positivity rate reaches 27.28% with over 42,000 new cases today
- Adani Power registers profits after a disappointing loss-making quarter last year
- Star India Network garnered a cumulative reach of 352 million in the first 26 matches
- Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti 2021: Remembering some of his greatest words
- Non-residents will have to pay tax in India if transactions exceed ₹2 crore