Nearly 94,000 kids in the US have tested positive for COVID-19 last week as schools reopen
Children now account for 15 per cent of Covid-19 cases in the US, according to a study released by The
In states where data was available, less than 2 per cent of all child Covid-19 cases required hospitalisation. In states reporting, only 0.00-0.03 per cent of all child Covid-19 cases resulted in death, according to AAP.
As of August 5, nearly 4.3 million children have
At this time, nearly 60 per cent of US kids over 12 years have been fully vaccinated and nearly 70 per cent have got at least one shot. Shots for kids under 12 years have not yet been authorised.
Pfizer received emergency use authorization for vaccinating those 12 years of age and older; the Moderna and Janssen vaccines are authorised for people 18 years of age and older. Pfizer is expected to apply for emergency approval of its under -12 years shot by October this year. Meanwhile, schools have already started reopening for the Fall term.
The latest data from the
Fears are spiralling that states without tough mask mandates will likely be slammed once again by rising Covid-19 cases as students return to the classroom. The
US President Joe Biden said on Tuesday that he was "very concerned" about case trends among school children. He noted that most of the children getting sick are living in states with low vaccination rates. "So, my plea is that for those who are not vaccinated, think about it."
AdvertisementAs on August 10, 51 per cent of the US population is fully vaccinated. More than 71 per cent of US adults have got at least one shot. The
The first case of Covid-19 in the US was reported on January 21, 2020. On August 10, the country reported 184,346 new confirmed cases. The virus is blamed for more than 618,000 deaths in the US alone, which accounts for the world's highest caseload and deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Krsnaa Diagnostics IPO opens—here is all you need to know
These are some of the highest paid founders of Indian startups tapping capital markets this year
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry