Pfizer vaccine may be less effective against South African and UK coronavirus variants, according to Israeli study
- An Israeli
studyfound that the Pfizer vaccinemay not provide full protection against the South African strain.
- Fully vaccinated patients saw protection against a surging UK strain, but partially vaccinated patients did not.
Israelhas the world's fastest vaccine roll-out, but has excluded Palestinians in Israeli-occupied territories.
The study, released on Saturday, compared the incidences of both variants between vaccinated and unvaccinated patients who had tested positive for the coronavirus. The study, conducted by Tel Aviv University and Israeli
The South African
The study suggests that the
Roughly 80% of Israel's population is vaccinated, with almost 53% of the population having received both Pfizer doses. The study found that only 1% of total cases in the study were the South African variant, a promising sign for Israel, the most vaccinated country.
Israel's vaccine totals do not include Palestinians. Israel occupies the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and Gaza, and has rolled out the vaccine much more slowly in Palestinian territories, claiming that the Palestinian Authority is responsible for the distribution of vaccines.
Earlier this month, a Palestinian student studying at Tel Aviv University in Israel won the right to be vaccinated after being turned away from a school vaccination site and then suing. Israel has just recently begun to vaccinate Palestinians.
In data released on April 1, Pfizer and Biotech found that their shot was 91% effective at preventing COVID-19 and showed early signs of preventing the spread of the B.1.351 strain as well. Earlier lab trials had suggested that the vaccine provides some protection against the strain, but not full protection.
- Torrent Pharma to acquire Curatio for Rs 2,000 crore
- Market in the grip of a bear hug: Nifty50 trades below 17,000 points, rupee hits a new low
- FM urges I-T officials to expedite returns, refund process and grievance redressal
- Razorpay forays into loyalty and rewards segment with PoshVine acquisition
- Don't equate fun with money: Sundar Pichai to employees