RBC lays out its top digital health stock picks
Welcome to Business Insider's daily healthcare newsletter, your daily dose of pharma, biotech, and
Hello,Today in healthcare news: RBC's top digital health picks for 2021, the 26 healthcare and biotech unicorns to keep an eye on, and one reporter's account of how she was offered a COVID-19 vaccine even though she's young and healthy.
RBC shared its top 6 digital health picks for 2021 as Wall Street anticipates accelerated growth for the industry
RBC Capital Marketsreleased its outlook on digital healthand healthcare information technology on January 6, predicting the industry's continued growth in 2021.
- Compared to traditional tech, digital health and healthcare IT stocks trade at a significant discount, the analysts noted, but increased in value in 2020 as healthcare shifted online due to the pandemic.
- Analyst Sean Dodge predicts accelerated venture funding and going-public activity as the US healthcare system more fully adopts telemedicine.
- The financial fallout of the coronavirus pandemic did little to stem interest in healthcare startups. Many new investors flocked to the industry for a recession-proof investment.
- Healthcare startups raised $17 billion in 2020, a 57% increase over 2019's record, according to a new report from Silicon Valley Bank.
- There are 26 startups that achieved unicorn status in 2020 with valuations at or above $1 billion, according to Pitchbook data and Business Insider's reporting.
- A loophole in the US
vaccinerollout has made it possible for young and healthy people to get shots without having to skip the line.
- I tried to get one at DC pharmacies, a process that took days and at some point coincided with the attack on the Capitol by violent pro-Trump supporters objecting to the certification of Joe Biden's electoral win.
- The coronavirus vaccine rollout has been slow and messy. And at the end of some days, healthcare facilities are finding themselves with extra doses that have a short shelf life and could end up in the trash.
- It's one of those leftover doses that I was chasing, but I also wanted to ensure that any elderly or more vulnerable people waiting for them got them first. I learned it was possible, with careful planning and good luck, to get vaccinated early.
- New York expands its COVID-19 vaccine pool by 3.2 million people after a lack of eligible candidates forced healthcare workers to toss spare doses (Business Insider)
- Eli Lilly says its experimental Alzheimer's medicine appeared to slow decline in a small study of 272 patients (Stat News)
- When should people who've already gotten COVID-19 get the vaccine? Doctors say it depends on whether they still have symptoms. (Business Insider)
- Biden has been critical of his COVID-19 team as it prepares to carry out on its promise of 100 million vaccines in 100 days (Politico)
- Here is what to expect from Maruti, M&M, Hero, Bajaj Auto and other automakers in February auto sales
- Google pledges $5 million to address disparities in COVID-19 vaccinations
- Maruti Suzuki completes two million vehicle exports since 1986-87
- New tool spots to identify security and privacy issues with COVID-19 tracing apps
- Countdown begins for PSLV rocket's one of longest missions