Remdesivir could reduce Covid mortality if given within 9 days of symptom onset, says new study
Several studies, according to the study, have already shown that remdesivir can shorten recovery time in patients with COVID-19, although there are conflicting reports on whether the drug prevents patients from dying. In addition, previous trials did not focus on patients who required breathing support while in the
"Given the inconsistent evidence regarding the survival benefit it confers, we sought to investigate the effectiveness of remdesivir in patients with COVID-19, who were admitted to an ICU in Japan," said
"All of these patients were being treated with corticosteroids for pneumonia, and some were receiving mechanical assistance for breathing," said Hanafusa.
According to the study, the researchers analyzed the medical records of 168 patients with COVID-19 admitted to the ICU at TMDU Hospital between April 2020 and November 2021. The patients were divided into groups based on whether or not they were also treated with remdesivir, the study, published in the Journal of Medical Virology, said.
"The results showed a clear difference in patient survival based on when they received treatment with remdesivir," said
"In-hospital mortality rates were significantly lower in ICU patients who received remdesivir and corticosteroids within 9 days of symptom onset than in patients whose treatment with remdesivir started 10 or more days after they first developed symptoms," said Fujiwara.
A small number of patients experienced adverse events such as a rash, requiring them to stop taking remdesivir, while a greater proportion experienced acute kidney injury or liver injury but was able to continue treatment, the study said.
"Our findings suggest that at least in a largely Japanese patient population with severe to critical COVID-19, early treatment with remdesivir and corticosteroids is associated with decreased mortality," said Hanafusa.
Given the survival benefit demonstrated in this study, the time that has elapsed since symptom onset should be considered when using remdesivir to treat patients who are critically ill with COVID-19. The varying effectiveness of remdesivir at different time points may reflect increasing viral load and lung damage over time and could help explain why the effectiveness of this drug remains controversial.
Fresh snowfall keeps at least 72 roads across Himachal blocked for second week
Temp drops below freezing point in Srinagar
Popular on BI
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Network18 group to merge TV, digital news businesses
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers