Serum Institute may begin human trials of Oxford-AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate from August 25
- The pharma giant will be meeting principal investigators at 17 different sites across the country.
- Once these formal procedures are completed, SII will begin human trials anytime after August 25.
- The trials will be held at PGIMER Chandigarh, AIIMS in Delhi, ABJ Medical College in Pune, Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences (RMRIMS) in Patna, and 13 other sites in the country.
The trials will be held at PGIMER Chandigarh, AIIMS in Delhi, ABJ Medical College in Pune, Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences (RMRIMS) in Patna, AIIMS in Jodhpur, Nehru Hospital in Gorakhpur, Andhra Medical College in Visakhapatnam and JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research in Mysuru.
The virtual meet is going to establish a standard operating procedure for conducting phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials of the vaccine candidate in India. Once these formal procedures are completed, SII will begin human trials anytime after August 25.
SII has signed two agreements for the supply of Covid-19 vaccines, the first being AstraZeneca-Oxford's candidate, for which the company has agreed to produce up to 1 billion doses for low and middle-income countries. The Oxford University vaccine candidate has received permission to start phase-two and three trials in India earlier this month.
The Serum Institute of India would introduce candidate vaccines from
According to SII, the vaccines will be available as early as the first half of 2021 after gaining approvals and qualifications from the World Health Organization (WHO). If successful, Novavax's candidate will be available to all 92 countries, while AstraZeneca's candidate vaccine will be available to 57 Gavi-eligible countries.
(With inputs from IANS)
Here’s how India’s 74th Independence Day celebrations will take place this year
How much Deloitte, KPMG, EY, and PwC accountants and consultants make, from entry level to executive roles
A dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter has a salty ocean beneath its surface, making it a contender for alien life
- Brands that demonstrate they care for consumers, communities and the environment will find favor with today’s and tomorrow’s consumers: Preeti Reddy, Kantar
- For every run scored by the Mumbai Indians, Cadbury Dairy Milk will sponsor health insurance for 2 daily wage earners in India
- Preparing for potential Covid-19 vaccine launch: Moderna CEO
- Criminal: UK, London Confidential and other thriller movies that you can watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Zee 5
- Salary of MPs and ministers to be slashed 30% to meet COVID-19 'exigencies'