The head of Operation Warp Speed told us about his day that starts at 2:30 a.m. and shared his timeline for a coronavirus vaccine in an exclusive interview
I'm especially proud of some of the big exclusive interviews the team got this week.This week alone we published:
- Andrew Dunn's conversation with Moncef Slaoui, the chief adviser to Operation Warp Speed.
- Kimberly Leonard's close look at a top Biden health policy adviser who's helping him prepare for a White House victory.
- Blake Dodge's conversation with Dr. Karen DeSalvo, Google's chief health officer.
A quick reminder: You can now get our newsletter every day. Subscribe here for your daily dose of healthcare news from the Business Insider team.77680115
The fate of the US plan to get
Yes, that sounds way too early to me, too.It's one of a number of topics Andrew Dunn covered in his conversation with Moncef Slaoui, the former pharmaceutical exec who's charged with bringing hundreds of millions of doses of coronavirus vaccines to Americans via the secretive Operation Warp Speed.
- His best timeline on the race for a COVID-19 vaccine and the return to normal
- His thoughts on the biotechs that he says 'misled their shareholders' and 'frustrated the hell' out of him by playing up connections to the secretive government program
- The process Operation Warp Speed used to decide which 6 vaccine candidates to back with massive multibillion-dollar deals.
To be sure, President Donald Trump has an ambitious goal to get a coronavirus vaccine by January.Even if he hits that target, it'll still be months until you get a vaccine, lining up with what Slaoui told Andrew.
And as a reminder, we're still going to need effective ways to treat the novel coronavirus, even if we get a vaccine.Andrew and Aria Bendix teamed up on this incredibly helpful chart of the 9 most promising COVID-19 treatments. Check it out here.
Want to dive deeper into the conversation between Andrew and Slaoui?
We spoke to Trump's coronavirus vaccine czar about when he anticipates getting a coronavirus vaccine, the secrecy around Operation Warp Speed, and his typical day that starts at 2:30 a.m.
Are you new to Business Insider's paywall? Use my link here to get 20% off your subscription.77680117
Now that the Democratic ticket is firmed up, we've got the list of the most powerful people advising Joe Biden and Kamala Harris who could shape the future of healthcare if their campaign succeeds.
On that list is Dr. Lisa Fitzpatrick, one of five healthcare policy co-chairs advising Biden.In July, Kimberly Leonard spent an afternoon shadowing Fitzpatrick as she answered healthcare questions posed by residents of one of DC's poorest neighborhoods.
This doctor is helping Biden prepare for a White House victory. Her focus on a $238 billion problem could shape healthcare's future.Blake Dodge and Hugh Langley teamed up to find the 18 leaders at Google Health who are shaping how the company breaks into the $3.6 trillion healthcare industry.
One of those folks was Dr. Karen DeSalvo, one of
Blake and Hugh also have a lil scoop on Google's sister company Verily, which once expressed interest in virtual-trials startup Science 37.
POWER PLAYERS: The 18 leaders at Google Health shaping the tech giant's secretive healthcare business
It's a weird time for the public markets.For biotech companies, it's already a record year for initial public offerings, with companies going public much earlier than usual.
Meanwhile, healthcare companies are eyeing alternatives to IPOs in their bids to become publicly traded companies.Megan Hernbroth has the story on the promises and the pitfalls of SPACs, or special purpose acquisition companies — blank-check companies that have also caught the eye of former House Speaker Paul Ryan.
Investors are cautioning against the unstoppable rise of an IPO alternative that has already won over some healthcare startups
We've only got one more full week left in August! What are y'all doing to soak up the last few weeks of summer?Let me know, and be sure to drop me any scoops/tips you might have! I'm at email@example.com, and you can reach the whole healthcare team at firstname.lastname@example.org. - Lydia
- UltraTech Cement's ₹5,477 crore expansion plan is a sign that Birla is betting on a faster economic recovery
- SBI’s mobile banking app is down for the third time in 30 days — digital services take a hit for the 25th time this year
- HCL Tech's Roshni Nadar is India's richest woman in 2020, according to Kotak Wealth Hurun India list
- Hero ISL’s viewership for the first 8 matches has grown by 16% in comparison to last year
- Reliance Infratel resolution plan approved by NCLT Mumbai – Jio to pick up the tower unit