We went inside the labs where DNA-testing startup Helix has been running coronavirus tests
Patricia Kelly Yeo/Insider
- We went inside Helix's San Diego labs to see how the consumer genetics company confronted the pandemic;
- Primary care upstarts aren't rushing to provide care to people on Medicaid, and it's not just because of the money;
- Transplant patients are getting illicit third vaccine doses.
- Helix, a population-genomics company in the Bay Area, is deep in the viral variant tracking business.
- With the CDC,
Helixidentified the spread of variant Alpha - now the most dominant strain in the US.
- Insider went to San Diego to tour Helix's COVID-19 testing lab.
Primary caregroups like One Medical are expanding senior care, but say Medicaidisn't a key target.
- Experts say lower payment rates and fewer chronic conditions discourage them from chasing Medicaid.
- Equity advocates warn that this could deepen health disparities that grew during the pandemic.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
Transplant patients 'desperate' for COVID vaccine protection are getting illicit 3rd doses - and it might be working for some
- It can be hard for people with transplant organs to derive the same benefits from vaccines as other people.
- A new study suggests giving them 3 doses of COVID-19 vaccines, instead of 2, can help.
More stories we're reading:
- Humana is buying Onehome as it beefs up its home care strategy (Healthcare Dive)
- Even if the coronavirus did leak from a Wuhan lab, that wouldn't necessarily mean it was engineered (Insider)
- HCA Healthcare uses "trauma activation fees" that can be as high as $50,ooo when patients come to its trauma centers (Kaiser Health News)
- This CEO was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia when it was menopause. Now her startup hopes to create a $600 billion menopause market, backed by female VCs. (Insider)
- Best noise cancelling truly wireless earbuds in India
- Indian government brings in a bill to bury the infamous retrospective tax that haunted Cairn and Vodafone for nearly a decade
- Amazon Great Freedom Festival Sale 2021: Best deals on refrigerators
- Best Noise-cancelling headphones under 15000 in India
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya to get ₹4 crore from the Haryana government for bagging silver in Tokyo