Wealthy donors reportedly received COVID-19 vaccinations ahead of staff and residents at an upscale assisted-living company in Florida
- The CEO of a Florida
healthcareprovider personally invited wealthy donors to receive COVID-19 vaccinationsthat were intended for residents and staff of long-term-care facilities, according to a new Washington Post report. MorseLife Health SystemCEO Kevin Meyers offered the coronavirusvaccinations to board members and donors, as well as to members of the Palm Beach Country Club, the Post reported.
- Florida has begun vaccinating the general population, though supplies are limited and you must be 65-year-old or older to qualify. MorseLife was not authorized to vaccinate nonresidents, according to the report.
Wealthy donors to a Florida-based nursing home and assisted-living facility were offered early access to
"He asked me if I wanted to have a
MorseLife Health System advertises itself as providing "five-star senior living," and offers a variety of services including assisted living and nursing. The
Approximately one-fifth of Floridians are aged 65 and over, and - breaking with CDC guidelines - the state began vaccinating its general population in late December starting with that demographic. But organization has been a major issue, with different counties in
In some places, people lined up overnight for a chance to get vaccinated in first-come, first-served situations, NPR reported. In others, phone lines were flooded and websites crashed as people attempted to sign up.
It's not clear how many vaccinations MorseLife gave to donors, but every donor who confirmed with the Post that they received it is over 65 years old.
"If MorseLife is giving this vaccine away to the well-connected, they need to be held accountable for that," State Rep. Omari Hardy told the Post.
MorseLife Health System representatives didn't respond to a request for comment as of publishing.
Got a tip? Contact Business Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again