What is eluru disease, symptoms, causes and helpline number
- A mysterious disease is spreading in Eluru, Andhra Pradesh, claiming one and nearly 450 residents being hospitalised.
- Cause of the sickness is yet to be determined. However, officials believe that poisonous organic substances could be the most likely cause of the disease.
- The patients suffered from symptoms like seizures, burning eyes, sudden loss of consciousness, frothing, among others.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
AdvertisementA mysterious illness, called “Eluru disease,” has hit Eluru city in Andhra Pradesh. So far, one person died on Sunday. Nearly 450 residents were hospitalised with complaints of giddiness, while 263 were discharged after fully recovering, since Saturday
Most of the cases of
A central team was also scheduled to visit Andhra Pradesh to investigate a mysterious disease. According to an office memorandum issued by the Union Health Ministry on Monday, the team comprising Dr Jamshed Nayar, Associate Professor (Emergency Medicine), AIIMS, Dr Avinash Desohtawar, Virologist, NIV, Pune and Dr Sanket Kulkarni, Deputy Director, PH, National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) were slated to reach Eluru today.
The authorities have readied over 100 additional beds at Eluru Government Hospital in preparation for more potential patients being admitted.
What are the symptoms of Eluru disease?
Authorities said the symptoms persisted for 10 to 15 minutes and a majority of the people had recovered within a few minutes. However, at least seven were shifted to the government hospital on Sunday for better treatment.
The patients of Eluru disease suffered from these symptoms:
- Burning eyes
- Sudden loss of consciousness
Excessive amounts of heavy metals such as lead and nickel were found in the blood samples of patients.
"We found lead and nickel in the blood samples in excess amounts. This can be one of the causes. We are sending more samples to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi," Himanshu Shukla, joint collector, West Godavari district told IANS.
He said scientists were suspecting these heavy metals were causing the mysterious ailment that has already affected hundreds. Shukla said water and milk have already been tested for these metals and their absence in them has ruled them out to be a cause. "So definitely it is not water and milk. It can be other things. Already we have covered vegetables if they could be a source and there are multiple other sources like sweets," said Shukla.
Helpline for Eluru disease
The District Medical and Health Officer (DM&HO) Dr Sunanda assured people that the recovery rate is good, and there is no need for panic. The district authorities have also set up a helpline unit at the Eluru municipal office.
The residents may call on 9154565529 and 9154592617 in case of an emergency.
SEE ALSO: Bharat Biotech applies for emergency use approval for its COVID-19 vaccine Covaxin
COVID-19 vaccine in India: Expert panel to review Pfizer, Serum and Bharat Biotech's emergency use application tomorrow
Popular on BI
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months