100 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's vaccine need to be checked for contamination and may need to be thrown out
Emergent BioSolutionsCEO Robert Kramer said that 100 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccineare on hold.
- They are potentially contaminated and may need to be discarded.
- The New York Times reported last month that the facility may have jeopardized 62 million of J&J's COVID-19 vaccine doses.
Emergent BioSolutions CEO Robert G. Kramer admitted to the House of Representatives on Wednesday that more than 100 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine are on hold and possibly contaminated.
It was the first time that Kramer admitted the high figure of potentially spoiled vaccines after The New York Times reported last month that the facility may have jeopardized 62 million of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine doses, after ruining 15 million doses of the vaccine through cross-contamination with ingredients for AstraZeneca's vaccine.
"No one is more disappointed than we are that we had to suspend our 24/7 manufacturing of new vaccine," Kramer told members of the House Select Subcommittee on the
"I apologize for the failure of our controls," Kramer added.
Members asked questions about whether Kramer used political connections to win government contracts for vaccine production at the company's facilities.
The millions of possibly contaminated Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses haven't been distributed to the public.
A representative for Johnson & Johnson told Insider that, "The quality and safety of our COVID-19 vaccine are paramount. We continue to work with the US Food & Drug Administration and with Emergent, in order to secure Emergency Use Authorization in the US for drug substance manufactured at Emergent Bayview as quickly as possible."
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- RIL, PNB, Reliance Capital, Union Bank of India and other hot stocks on November 30
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries