11 critical unanswered questions about the coronavirus and COVID-19, the illness it causes
- Experts are racing to study the coronavirus as the number of people it infects and kills continues to rise.
- Scientists know the coronavirus likely came from bats but aren't sure how it hopped over to humans.
- Researchers are also unsure what makes the virus so effective at spreading, and why it's lethal for some healthy people yet doesn't cause symptoms in most children.
- It is also still unknown whether the virus is seasonal, can reinfect patients, or if a safe and effective vaccine will emerge to curtail the disease.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
Dettol Original Germ Protection Bathing Soap bar, 125 gm, Buy 4 Get 1 Free₹ 220Buy On
Dettol Original Germ Protection Liquid Handwash Refill, 1500ml (Price Off)₹ 208Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control, with Onion Oil & Plant Keratin 250ml₹ 349Buy On
- 30% OFF
Pampers All round Protection Pants, Large size baby diapers (LG) 64 Count, Anti Rash diapers, Lotion with Aloe Vera₹ 801₹ 1149Buy On
- 6% OFF
Parachute jumbo pack 100% pure coconut oil 600 ml (bottle )₹ 236₹ 250Buy On
What we do know is that the coronavirus apparently emerged in Wuhan, China, just before the New Year, has reached more than 175 countries, is confirmed to have infected more than 595,000 people, and has killed at least 27,000. Increased testing, particularly in the US, is bound to boost those numbers.As hospitals around the world strain to care for patients with critical, long-lasting, and resource-draining pneumonia and respiratory failure, scientists are racing to study the coronavirus, spread life-saving information, and combat dangerous misunderstandings.
Here are 11 of the biggest questions surrounding the coronavirus and COVID-19, and why answering each one is critically important.Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
And get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
Where exactly did the coronavirus come from?
How many people actually have a COVID-19 infection?
What makes the coronavirus so good at spreading?
What actually drives mortality in people infected by the coronavirus?
What percent of people infected by the coronavirus die?
Why are young people the least at risk of dying?
Can you get reinfected by the coronavirus?
How seasonal is the coronavirus?
Are there any safe and effective drugs to treat the coronavirus?
Will there be a safe and effective vaccine for the coronavirus, and when?
What are the long-term consequences for those who survive COVID-19?
- Weekend watch list for OTT — Fahadh Faasil’s Malik to Farhan Akhtar’s Toofan and more
- Reliance Retail surprises all by more than doubling its net profit in the last three months
- Reliance Jio adds 42 million subscribers but the average revenue is pretty much the same
- YES Bank’s net profit grows four fold as provision for bad loans shrink
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on headphones