6 space-themed novelty items we totally forgot about
- Space-themed novelty items were popular through the latter half of the 20th century and into the early 2000s.
- Some have been discontinued, but many, like Tang, Moon Boots, and freeze-dried foods, are still around today in limited form.
- Here are a few of the space-themed items that once captured the national imagination - and our wallets.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
World Space Week is upon us.In honor of the annual UN-backed holiday, which runs from October 4 to October 10 this year, Business Insider has compiled a list of some of the lesser known items brought to us by the great space race.
From Moon Boots to dehydrated ice cream, these space-themed novelty items were once all the rage.And though some have been discontinued, the memory of their absurdity lives on.
And who knows, perhaps they'll be revamped and available once again to the public as the next great space race gears up in our time.Here are six space-themed oddities you may have forgotten about.
1960s kids might remember snacking on Space Food Sticks.
Tang drink mix is associated with 1960s space travel, even though it wasn't actually designed for astronauts.Advertisement
Moon Boots captured the imaginations of avid skiers and snow bunnies in the late '70s.
Freeze-dried 'astronaut food' doesn't taste very good, but sure is a novelty.Advertisement
The Fisher Space Pen writes in space – and everywhere else.
The Bowflex Revolution hits home at the end of the Space Shuttle program.Advertisement
- Argentine Football legend Diego Maradona, 60, dead
- Bengal Minister Hakim likely to take part in Covaxin Phase-3 trial
- Headspace to offer unlimited access to students from IIT and IIM in India for six months
- Cyclone Nivar likely to cross coast tonight, TN CM declares one more day holiday
- Delhi's air quality deteriorates to 'severe' category due to slow winds