A Wuhan seafood vendor believed to be one of the first coronavirus patients says 'a lot fewer people would have died' if the Chinese government acted sooner
- Wei Guixian, a 57-year-old seafood vendor in Wuhan, China, was among the first 27 people to be diagnosed with the coronavirus, which originated from the wet market where she worked.
- Wei first began exhibiting coronavirus symptoms on December 10 and was admitted to the hospital less than a week later, with doctors describing her illness as "very serious" and "ruthless."
- Other vendors from the same market began to check into the hospital soon after. Wei recovered and left the hospital in January.
- But the World Health Organization said it wasn't informed of the coronavirus from its Chinese branch until the end of December, The Wall Street Journal reported.
- A "lot fewer people would have died" in China if the government acted sooner, Wei told The Journal in a February interview.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
One of the first coronavirus patients in Wuhan, China, said "a lot fewer people would have died" if the Chinese government took action sooner, she said in a February interview with The Wall Street Journal.Wei Guixian, a 57-year-old seafood vendor in Wuhan's Hua'nan market, was among the first 27 patients to get infected with the coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease known as COVID-19.Advertisement
She first began exhibiting symptoms on December 10 of last year, and was taken to Wuhan Union Hospital for treatment less than a week later. She recalled her doctors describing the illness as "very serious" and "ruthless," according to The Journal and The New York Post.
She remembered her daughters at her bedside in tears, The Journal reported, and her eldest daughter "would touch me every so often, afraid I would pass away," she told the publication.Other vendors from the same market began to check into the hospital soon after. Wei recovered and left the hospital in January. She said she believes she contracted the disease through a communal toilet shared with other people at the market.
Despite having contracted the disease in mid-December and flagging it to health officials, the World Health Organization first received
Since the outbreak began late last year, the US and Italy have surpassed China in number of cases, with 104,661 people infected and 86,498 people infected respectively.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email email@example.com and tell us your story.
- 20 DMRC staff have tested positive for COVID-19 till date: Sources
- COVID-positive man dies, daughter says 'not admitted' in time by Delhi hospital
- Four more COVID-19 cases in HP's Hamirpur, ten recover
- COVID-19 cases cross 2,000-mark in Assam
- 13 Indians among 517 new coronavirus cases reported in Singapore