As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, the CDC says 136 kids have died from the flu this season - the highest on record in a decade
BSIP/UIG Via Getty Images
- In a report published on March 6 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 136 children had died from influenza during the 2019-2020 flu season.
- It's the highest child death rate from the flu since 2009, the CDC said.
- Dr. Tara Narula told "CBS This Morning" that an increase in influenza B could be causing the higher death rates.
- Meanwhile, the novel coronavirus continues to sweep the United States, where 27 deaths have been reported.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus continues to spread across the US and the world, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says influenza has also affected thousands of Americans.
In a report published on March 6 with data from February 29, the CDC said there had been about 20,000 reported deaths from the flu during the 2019-2020 flu season, which lasts from October to May. Child deaths have hit the highest count since 2009, at 136.
The CDC said that there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses and 350,000 hospitalizations for the flu this season.
"Antiviral medications are an important adjunct to flu vaccine in the control of influenza," the CDC said. "Almost all (>99%) of the influenza viruses tested this season are susceptible to the four FDA-approved influenza antiviral medications recommended for use in the US this season."
"Because we've seen a shift in the predominant strain, which is usually influenza A," she said. "This year it's influenza B. That hasn't happened since the 1992-1993 flu season. And we know that influenza B tends to affect children more. They tend to have a more severe reaction to influenza B."
Meanwhile, the novel coronavirus continues to sweep the US. Worldwide, COVID-19 has infected more than 116,000 people and caused more than 4,000 deaths. The US has reported 27 deaths.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends
NOW WATCH: The rise and fall of Pan Am
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022