Dr. Fauci says the US could experience a fifth wave in COVID-19 infections as health officials warn about spread of Omicron
- Dr. Anthony Fauci said there's a chance the US might experience a fifth wave of
- His warning comes as the new
Omicron variant, first detected in South Africa, has spread to a number of countries.
Dr. Anthony Fauci on Sunday warned that the US might enter a fifth wave as the threat of the new
"We certainly have the potential to go into a fifth wave," Fauci, the nation's topmost COVID-19 expert, told CBS
He once again urged that Americans get vaccinated against the
"If we do that successfully in a very intensive way, we can mitigate any increase," Fauci said.
"If we don't do it successfully, it is certainly conceivable and maybe likely that we will see another bit of a surge," he added. "How bad it gets is dependent upon us and how we mitigate."
So far, a little more than 59% of the total US population is vaccinated against the coronavirus, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Fauci has previously said that the US needs to get up to around 90% in order to achieve herd immunity.
Fauci's latest remarks come as the nation prepares to deal with the threat of the Omicorn variant.
The Omicorn, labeled a "variant of concern," by the World Health Organization, poses a threat because of its unique mutations, which might withstand antibodies developed in the body after a COVID vaccine.
It's not clear yet whether existing COVID-19 vaccines will protect against the variant. But vaccine manufacturers, including Pfizer and Moderna, have already begun considering their options.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May