Earth now has a 5th ocean, according to National Geographic, which upgraded the status of the waters around Antarctica
- National Geographic said on Tuesday it will be adding a fifth ocean to its maps.
- The Southern Ocean is the second-smallest ocean and surrounds the Antarctic.
- The move was long-awaited, as scientists have been using the term for years.
National Geographic announced this week that it is officially recognizing a fifth ocean: the Southern Ocean.This body of water lies around the Antarctic, stretching from the coastline to the 60 degrees latitude mark.
View all Offers
- 4% OFF
Dettol Original Germ Protection Bathing Soap bar, 125 gm, Buy 4 Get 1 Free₹ 220₹ 229Buy On
Dettol Original Germ Protection Liquid Handwash Refill, 1500ml (Price Off)₹ 208Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control, with Onion Oil & Plant Keratin 250ml₹ 349Buy On
- 30% OFF
Pampers All round Protection Pants, Large size baby diapers (LG) 64 Count, Anti Rash diapers, Lotion with Aloe Vera₹ 801₹ 1149Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Oil for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control with Redensyl 150ml₹ 399Buy On
-National Geographic (@NatGeo) June 8, 2021All oceans are connected, so in a way, there is only one ocean. But the planet's waters have been traditionally split into four regions: the Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic, and Indian oceans.
Adding the Southern Ocean makes scientific sense because it is a distinct ecological region, according to Alex Tait, National Geographic's geographer.It is served by the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, which brings colder and less salty water than more Northern regions of the ocean, CBS News reported.
By adding a fifth ocean, the magazine is breaking away from guidance from the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).The organization, which sets the rules for sea mapping, has not ratified a proposal to add the Southern Ocean, which was first submitted in 2000.Several countries, including the US, recognize the ocean anyway. Most scientists and IHO members use the name, Tait said.
- Weekend watch list for OTT — Fahadh Faasil’s Malik to Farhan Akhtar’s Toofan and more
- Reliance Retail surprises all by more than doubling its net profit in the last three months
- Reliance Jio adds 42 million subscribers but the average revenue is pretty much the same
- YES Bank’s net profit grows four fold as provision for bad loans shrink
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on headphones