'Make plans for a different kind of Thanksgiving': New Mexico shutting down all non-essential business amid record-shattering surge in COVID-19
New MexicoGov. Michelle Lujan Grishamannounced Friday that the state will be closing all non-essential businesses, starting next week.
- Lujan Grisham, who co-chairs President-elect Joe Biden's transition team, is encouraging New Mexicans to stay home as much as possible through the end of the month.
- "Make plans for a different kind of Thanksgiving," she said.
New Mexico residents should stay home for the rest of November, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said Friday, announcing a new statewide order that will close all non-essential businesses and limit bars and restaurants to takeout.
Lujan Grisham, a Democrat who co-chairs President-elect Joe Biden's transition team, said she had hoped to contain the surge in
"The public health data make clear, however, that more aggressive restrictions are not only warranted but essential if we are to prevent mass casualties," she said. "Make plans for a different kind of Thanksgiving."
On Thursday, state health officials announced a record 1,753 new cases of COVID-19. Over 60,000 New Mexicans have now tested positive for the
At least 94 people have died because of the virus over the last seven days, bringing the statewide total to 1,176.
The new public health order, which takes effect Monday, shutters gyms, salons, and tattoo parlors. It also prohibits guided raft and balloon tours, presumably in an effort to discourage out-of-state visitors; hotels are also limited to 25% capacity.
Essential businesses, such as grocery stores and big-box retailers, are also limited to 25% capacity.
Churches and other religious venues can still hold indoor services, provided they are capped at a quarter of their maximum occupancy, topping out at 75 people.
Have a news tip? Email this reporter: email@example.com
- Shining bright: Gold prices at an all-time high and unlikely to dip anytime soon
- RBI expected to hold rates for the 5th time in a row, no cuts likely before Q2FY25
- IBM, Meta launch AI Alliance to build open, responsible AI
- Have no fear in saying 'I'm on medication': Karan Johar on his battle with anxiety
- Bajaj Chetak Urbane vs Ola S1 Air – price, range and features compared