The CDC director said the coronavirus variant first found in the UK is now the dominant strain in the US
coronavirusvariant first identified in the UK was discovered outside London last year.
- The CDC director said it was now the dominant strain in the US.
- Research has suggested that it's likely associated with higher mortality than other variants.
A variant of the coronavirus first detected in the UK is now the dominant strain of the virus in the US, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky said at a press briefing on Wednesday.
The variant - B.1.1.7 - was discovered outside London last year, and in the months since, research has suggested that it's associated with higher mortality than other variants.On Tuesday, CDC data showed the variant had spread to all 50 states.
- India records highest single-day rise of 2,61,500 COVID-19 cases and 1,501 deaths
- Odisha halts COVID-19 vaccination drive in 1,035 sites due to its acute shortage
- All Migrant workers coming to Uttar Pradesh to be quarantined
- Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS updated with M1 chip support
- GoaMiles, a new state-backed cab aggregator service in tourists' hub has the taxi drivers on strike for 10 days