The factory that had to toss J&J coronavirus vaccines has made 150 million doses. Regulators haven't let any reach the public.
- A factory for Emergent BioSolutions has produced 150 million Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses.
- The doses remain unused because regulators haven't certified the factory to distribute the shots.
- Last month it was revealed this facility botched 15 million doses of the
A Baltimore factory that botched the production of 15 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson
The factory for Emergent BioSolutions, a biotech firm that's known for producing anthrax vaccines, has produced at least 150 million Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses - none of which have been used, The Times reported.The manufacturng plant ruined 15 million vaccine doses last month of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine when an employee reportedly mixed up vaccine ingredients.
As of April 3, about 3.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have been administered, according to data from The Wall Street Journal. In total, about 162 million vaccine doses have been administered in the US between J&J, Moderna, and Pfizer.The mistake did not impact Johnson & Johnson vaccines that had already been delivered but delayed production and shipment schedules of the vaccine for several weeks. The facility had been slated to produce tens of millions of doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine by the end of May.
Emergent BioSolutions told Insider that the company's quality control systems were "working as designed to detect and isolate any batch that fails to meet quality standards for any reason.""No one, including employees at Emergent, wants to see vaccines that cannot be used," the company said in a statement, adding: "Any allegation that our safety, quality, and compliance systems are not working or that we do not take these responsibilities seriously is unequivocally false." Emergent Biosolutions also has a history of quality-control issues and was once cited by the Food and Drug Administration for a number of issues, including mold and cracked vials, the Associated Press reported.
Around the same time, J&J announced its partnership with Emergent Biosolutions. The company signed a five-year contract, of which the first two years of the agreement were valued at $480 million, according to Emergent Biosolutions.
- ICICI Bank, Tech Mahindra, Nestle India and other hot stocks to track on April 20
- Notified new policy on rare diseases, approved budget of Rs 25 crore for treatment: Centre to HC
- Former PM Manmohan Singh admitted to AIIMS after testing positive for COVID-19
- If you are 18 years or older, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine from May 1
- India is promoting a new internet protocol— the government is offering help for websites to migrate